Monday 16 January 2012

Jan 16/12 - A very painful night!!!

My husband and I went out for dinner last night because we received some gift cards for Christmas.  We don't hardly ever go out (not really much point for me to eat anywhere lol) but it was a nice idea and we went.  My husband ordered an appetizer and I had some.. even though I should have known better.  I had some potato skins and two chips with spinach dip on them. 

Well that was the start to a very long night.  I started to get a tightness feeling in my stomach so I figured I was just full or going to be sick.  My heart started to race and my face got very hot.  All things that have happened in the past which I associated with dumping.  I didn't even touch my dinner and by the time my husband was done eating I was in a lot of pain.  We went to Chapters to walk around, thinking that would help but it didn't and by the time we got home the pain was pretty intense.  After it had been about 3 hours we decided to go to the hospital.

I was nervous to go though, still thinking it was just because of what I ate and I didn't want to get embarrassed when they told me it was nothing... but on the other hand I know many people who have had the same symptoms and it ended up being their gallbladder.. or worse.. and after having Gastric Bypass... I wasn't going to take any chances!

We ended up having to wait for hours of course before it was all said and done... they did blood work and took 4 xrays.. both came back fine.  They gave me a shot of morphine and a shot of gravol (both in my behind!) and when it finally kicked in I felt much better.. but up until that point I was in the worst pain I have ever experienced... other than childbirth.  I could not get comfortable no matter how hard I tried and my whole right side.. stomach, and back was just in sooo much pain!

My husband came back with me to the hospital this morning and I had an ultrasound done.  Again we had to wait for hours... I really hate hospitals!  We finally got the results back and I do have gallstones.  The doctor said they were uncomplicated.. which means they were not inflaming my gallbladder.. but I just had an episode probably brought on by my poor food choices.  Sigh.

So they have me on a liquid diet today.. and then back to soft purees tomorrow.  I go to see my surgeon Dr. Hagen on Thursday.. I'm not sure what is going to happen but part of me hopes they decide to take it out.. its so hard to know if my pains are from that or from the bypass.  I did know going into this that gallstones were a possibility because of the rapid weight loss... but I never thought it would be this painful!!!!

Lesson learned though.. that's for sure!  And can I just add that my husband is my rock and Im so glad I had him with me the whole time!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment